I’ve been working hard on my business this past week, especially marketing. From what I’ve learned so far, it is essential to have a simple and clear message. For me that revolves around finding your ancestor’s story. I don’t want to just find names and dates for people, although if that’s all they want, I’ll do it and be vastly disappointed. I want to put those facts together to weave the existence of a person who was once very much alive.
The emotions and feelings someone experiences after learning their ancestor’s story can vary widely depending on the content and context of that story. Here are just a few:
- Interest and Curiosity: Learning about your ancestor’s story can spark a strong sense of curiosity and interest. You might want to know more about their life, experiences, and the historical context in which they lived.
- Connection and Identity: Many people feel a deep sense of connection to their ancestors after learning their stories. It can reinforce a sense of identity and belonging, as you realize you are a part of something bigger.
- Gratitude: Discovering the challenges, sacrifices, and achievements of your ancestors can lead to feelings of gratitude. You may appreciate the opportunities and advantages you have today, that they might not have had. This one hits home with me just about every day!
- Empathy: If your ancestor’s story includes difficult or tragic experiences, you might feel a strong sense of empathy for their suffering. This can also extend to a broader understanding of historical events and how they affected your family.
- Inspiration: Positive aspects of an ancestor’s story, such as their accomplishments or resilience, can be a great source of inspiration. It may motivate you to overcome challenges in your own life.
- Pride: Learning about an ancestor’s achievements, contributions, or positive impact on their community can bring about feelings of pride. You may be proud to be associated with such a person.
- Resonance: Some elements of your ancestor’s story may resonate with your own experiences or personality. This can create a sense of commonality or understanding.
- Reflection: After learning an ancestor’s story, you might find yourself reflecting on your own life and values, which can lead to self-discovery.
By researching my ancestors and getting to know their stories, I feel so much more connected to my past. I’ve gotten to know my great-grandfather, Samuel Patrick Donahoo, and his journey through medical school. And I’m reminded of my 2x great-grandfather, Andrew Bothell, every time I drive around Richmond, Virginia, and see the signs for Cold Harbor. You can read about his story here.
No matter the ancestor or their story, you’re bound to feel something new. It can be a mix of positive and negative emotions, but whatever they are, you will feel a deeper connection to your family history and a greater connection to your roots.
If you need help finding your ancestor’s story, contact me and we’ll start to make some of those emotions come true in your life. The journey to the past isn’t always easy, but it’s almost always rewarding.
You may have noticed that the home page is starting to change and evolve. At the beginning of the year, I picked “evolve” as my word to concentrate on. I picked it because I knew this was going to be the year I started a genealogy business. Evolution was inevitable. So, my website is moving from a blog-centric site to a client-services site. The blog will still be there (a new one every Sunday), but it won’t be the main feature. I hope you’ll enjoy this new look!